Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Top of Our Cake.

Cake topper:  A cake topper is another item frequently seen in bridal magazines.  Cake toppers are placed directly on top of a cake to give the cake a final, elegant touch.  What is truly fantastic about a cake topper is that an entire cake can be plainly frosted and with an added cake topper the cake decorating can be consider elegantly complete.  Cake toppers come in a variety of forms and shapes—the bride a groom being a popular selection, along with glass swans and crystal hearts just to name a few of may cake decorating toppers available.

Cake toppers have changed over the years, they used to depict a traditional bride and groom, like the ones below:

Image Source
Image Source
But in many weddings today the cake topper varies, depending on the style of the wedding. We haven't talked to our baker yet, but I have definitely thought about what kind of topper I would like on my cake.

The monogram seems to be really popular, so of course it was the first thing I looked at.
Image Source
I soon decided I wanted something different, simply because of how common it was. After attending my cousin's wedding and seeing her cake topper I decided I wanted something simple, classy, and somewhat traditional.
Image Source
This was my cousin's cake topper.
I knew I couldn't use the same one as her though, so I continued to look off and on throughout the next few months. Then, I remembered a gift that my mom had given to Jon and I for Christmas right after we were engaged last year. 
Image Source
It was a Willow Tree statue of a loving couple. It was everything I was looking for, but it still didn't "click". I decided that I would continue to look, but if I didn't find something I absolutely loved, it was okay.

So... we will see how it goes! How did you choose your cake topper? Did it have some sort of special meaning to you? Or did you just 'go with what matched'?

No comments:

Post a Comment